Can I keep animals on my property?

Perhaps, depending on the type and number of animals you wish to keep. The York County Planning Commission (YCPC) staff can provide information and suggestions based on the Zoning Ordinance. For questions about specific applications and permits, you should contact the municipal zoning officer. Municipal zoning ordinances often specify the type and number of animals which may be kept on a property. Ordinances vary depending on the property’s zoning classification, whether the animals would be considered pets or livestock, and if the animals are kept for personal use. Other ordinances and State Ordinance may also apply.

Show All Answers

1. What homeowner financial assistance is available?
2. The enforcement officer refuses to issue a permit for an addition on my home since it would violate the zoning ordinance. Can I get a variance or special exception so I can expand the building anyway?
3. I want to give ten feet of my lot to my neighbor. Must I submit a subdivision plan?
4. I am having a boundary dispute (disagreement about the location of a property line) with my neighbor. Can you resolve the dispute?
5. Can I keep animals on my property?
6. Do I have to purchase flood insurance?
7. Is my house in a flood plain?
8. What is the zoning of my property?
9. What municipality do I live in?
10. I have water running through my yard when it rains. Who do I contact for help?