• What are the primary functions of the YCPC?

    In addition to preparing and maintaining a county-wide Comprehensive Plan, the YCPC also reviews and makes recommendations to municipalities on proposed ordinance amendments, as well as all subdivision and land development plans. Technical assistance is also provided to municipalities for planning-related activities and plan and ordinance preparation. With the consent of the County Commissioners, the Planning Commission administers federal and state housing and community development programs, including the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program, the HOME program, and the weatherization program. Similarly, the YCPC administers the Metropolitan Transportation Planning Division Program.

  • What is the Local Government Advisory Committee?

    The LGAC is a committee of elected and appointed officials from municipalities throughout the county which meet monthly to review and make recommendations to the York County Planning Commission on planning projects scheduled to come before the Commission each month. The LGAC currently meets the second Monday of every month.

  • Who serves on the Planning Commission?

    The Planning Commission is represented by seven planning regions throughout the County. There is one appointed representative from each of the planning regions as well as two at-large members, for a total membership of nine. Each member serves a four year term.

  • When and where does the Planning Commission meet?

    The Planning Commission meets the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm, unless there is a holiday conflict.  Please check the calendar for up-to-date information.  The monthly meeting location is the York County 911 Center, 120 Davies Drive, York, PA 17402.

  • How is the YCPC organized?

    The YCPC was originally created in 1959 through provisions in the County Code. The Commission consists of nine members appointed by the County Commissioners, and is served by a Director, an Assistant Director, and staff persons within nine divisions. These divisions include Information Systems, Long Range Planning, Municipal Planning, Transportation Planning, Community Development, Housing, Programs Management & Compliance, Support Staff, and Fiscal.

Data / Mapping

  • Where would I find subdivision and building permit information?

    This information is available on our website:

  • What are some of the organizations that you work with to coordinate GIS activities?

    • York County GIS Advisory Council - Meets every two months to coordinate GIS activities within York County. County staff representing nine departments participate in the council.
    • County GIS Professionals of Pennsylvania - Meets quarterly to guide geospatial activities within the state, comment on related legislation, coordinate training, and share best practices and ideas with other counties.
    • South-Central Counter Terrorism Task Force GIS Sub-Committee - Meets on a monthly basis to coordinate GIS activities within the eight counties in the south central region of PA. This group shares GIS resources and work to resolve data compatibility issues. 
  • How do I request GIS data and maps?

    GIS Data can be freely downloaded by visiting the York County GIS Open Data Portal at

    To request a map, please fill out the map request form found here.

  • Is there an online mapping application available?

    Yes, please visit the York County Map Portal website at to see available web mapping applications.

  • Where can I find information about threatened and endangered plants and animals?

  • What is the County's population?

    The US Census Bureau issues population estimates annually. We can provide an actual number from the 2010 Census. The population of York County is 434,972. For a complete York County fact sheet, please click here.


  • What homeowner financial assistance is available?

    The Planning Commission administers a weatherization program, available to both owners and renters, which is designed to reduce heating and cooling costs for low-income persons. The program helps to reduce energy consumption of the dwelling through the installation of various energy conservation measures.

    The Planning Commission also administers a home improvement program, which is designed to help income eligible resident homeowners by providing financial and technical assistance to obtain necessary home repairs. For more information, including eligibility requirements for either of these programs, please call our office at 717-771-9870.

  • The municipal codes enforcement officer refuses to issue a permit for me to put an addition on my house because it would violate the zoning ordinance. Can I get a variance or special exception so I can expand the building anyway?

    Perhaps. A variance request may be appropriate, and may be submitted to the municipal Zoning Hearing Board (ZHB) when a zoning regulation inflicts unnecessary hardship. The ZHB may grant the variance if the ZHB finds all of the following apply: there are unique physical conditions that prevent the property from being developed according to zoning Ordinance, the variance is necessary for reasonable use of the property, the hardship was not self-created, the character of the neighborhood will not be changed, the use of adjacent property and the public welfare will not be adversely affected, and the variance permits the minimum relief from the regulation.

    A special exception is probably not appropriate and/or does not apply in this instance, unless the use of the building is listed specifically as a special exception in the zoning ordinance. A special exception involves a specific use which is permitted in a particular zoning district, subject to certain standards and conditions. Applications for special exceptions are decided by the ZHB.

  • I want to give ten (10) feet of my lot to my neighbor. Must I submit a subdivision plan?

    Yes, the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (PA MPC) defines a subdivision to include the division or re-division of a parcel into two or more lots, as well as other divisions of land, including changes in existing lot lines. The PA MPC definition is the standard in municipal ordinances, regardless of the size or configuration of the lot(s) involved.

  • I am having a boundary dispute (disagreement about the location of a property line) with my neighbor. Can you resolve the dispute?

    The YCPC staff cannot resolve the dispute, but can suggest information sources and provide some general assistance. The resolution of boundary disputes is the responsibility of the property owners involved. Determining a boundary’s location typically relies on deeds, existing surveys, and recorded subdivision plans. If documentary evidence is lacking, you and your neighbor could agree to share the cost of a new survey to reestablish the boundary by mutual consent, followed by necessary approvals and recording of documents. If no documents exist which establish the property line, and no mutual agreement is reached, litigation will be necessary to settle the dispute.

  • Can I keep animals on my property?

    Perhaps, depending on the type and number of animals you wish to keep. The YCPC staff can provide information and suggestions based on zoning Ordinance. For questions about specific applications and permits, you should contact the municipal zoning officer. Municipal zoning ordinances often specify the type and number of animals which may be kept on a property. Ordinances vary depending on the property’s zoning classification, whether the animals would be considered pets or livestock, and if the animals are kept for personal use. Other ordinances and State Ordinance may also apply.

  • Do I have to purchase flood insurance?

    Purchasing flood insurance is an individual property owner’s decision, unless the lending institution which holds, or will hold, the mortgage for the property requires flood insurance. Flood insurance will almost certainly be required by your lender if the buildings on your property are determined to be in the 100-year flood plain according to FEMA’s Flood Insurance Rate Maps. If you own your property outright, and do not have flood insurance, you will be responsible for any flood-related damages which occur, as such damages are not typically covered by a homeowner’s insurance policy.

  • Is my house in a flood plain?

    The YCPC staff, and your local municipal staff, can assist you in determining your property’s location relative to a flood plain. The YCPC has copies of the latest (September 25, 2009) Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), as does your municipal office. The FIRMs indicate flood plain boundaries, elevations, and the location of existing structures. For specific questions about building permits and flood plain Ordinance, you should contact the code enforcement officer at your municipal office.

  • What is the zoning of my property?

    The zoning classification of your property is shown on the municipal zoning map contained in the zoning ordinance of the municipality in which your property is located. In some instances a property may be located in more than one zoning district and/or more than one municipality. The YCPC staff, and your local municipal staff, can assist you in determining the zoning classification of your property and the basic ordinances which apply. Detailed questions about zoning permits and applications should be addressed to the zoning officer at your municipal office.

  • What municipality do I live in?

    Please click on Find your Municipality.

  • I have water running through my yard when it rains. Who do I contact for help?

    You must contact your municipal office.  You can find municipal contact information here.