Hazard mitigation planning is required under the Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 as a condition of receiving various types of pre- and post-disaster assistance for mitigation efforts.
York County Planning Commission (YCPC) provides the following services coordinated through the York County Hazard Mitigation Officer:
- The County Hazard Mitigation Plan (PDF), which profiles 23 natural and human-made hazards, analyzes hazard response capability, and provides mitigation strategies. The plan is a collaborative effort between:
- Support and Education: YCPC staff can attend meetings and provide input to local municipalities regarding their hazard mitigation concerns, provide grant assistance, and participate in or provide educational training for various audiences.
- Information: YCPC maintains an abundance of information relating to hazard mitigation and municipalities or other stakeholders are welcome to contact staff with questions.
- Project review: Staff is available to review and comment on proposed plans, projects, regulations, and policies to ensure consistency with the 2018 Hazard Mitigation Plan and other Comprehensive Plan components.
Assistance is available to municipalities that have adopted the Plan by resolution and includes the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, Pre-Disaster Mitigation Program, and the Flood Mitigation Assistance Program. More information on these programs can be found on FEMA's website.
plan cycles & Public Input
YCPC updates this Plan every five years, as required by DMA 2000. The first York County Hazard Mitigation Plan was adopted in 2008, with updates completed in 2013 and in 2018. Each year, YCPC presents a review of the Plan and provides a forum for public and municipal comment at its December meeting.
Public review and comment is an important part of Plan development and implementation. Input from a variety of stakeholders is important not only when updating the County Plan, but also because most municipalities adopt the County Plan as their local plan.
- A brief description of the update and the hazard mitigation plan is available in our Planning Perspectives newsletter (PDF).
- Questions or comments regarding the York County Hazard Mitigation Plan update may be emailed to the County Hazard Mitigation Officer.
- A variety of useful information on YCPC's hazard mitigation planning process is available in two documents used to develop the 2018 update to the Plan.
- The surveys that support the development of the 2018 Plan update are available here: